Total Pageviews

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Pakistan's cultural image to the world

Hey guys. I am new at this and I don't know how often I am supposed to update the blog. So here I am.

This is not as great a story as the last one. This infact is a sad post.

My days in Thailand are almost about to end so I thought I would give a short presentation about Pakistan to the students. Thai students don't know much English. Which meant I could not tell them about the cool facts about Pakistan eg.

  • Pakistan has the biggest irrigation system
  • Pakistan has the worlds largest NGO
  • Second Largest Salt mine in the world
  • 7th Nuclear power 

Etc.
I decided to show instead a few videos and pictures. I wanted to cover the currency, the marriage, people, food fruits, cricket, religion and beautiful places. The best source for all of this should be a website about Pakistan's tourism or culture. Right? Wrong.
This is the website that is supposed to tell the world all the good things about Pakistan and attract tourists  http://www.tourism.gov.pk/
Just for comparison http://www.tourismthailand.org/Thailand
So yeah that didn't work out. I decided to search on my own.

For Pakistan "culture and dress-up" I only got models posing in sleeveless or backless clothes. I am not saying whether its right or wrong but it doesn't really represent our true culture.
Google search for "Pakistani People" leads to the picture of Asif Ali Zardari and all the other amazing PPP's leaders.
Google images search for "Pakistani currency/Banknotes" makes you search and search until you get an okay picture that has the right bank notes.
Trying to find videos of marriages on Youtube leads to links like "bla bla's mehndi  hot dance".
The videos of "beautiful places in Pakistan" did not have high quality pictures at all.

I noticed that we have a bad image all over the world not just because of all the bad things that happen here. I think we ourselves have averted the eyes of the world and hidden our amazing culture from it.
This post however is not just a complain. I have a few ideas.

There is a need for compilation of different videos and pictures about all the aforementioned topics in good quality. After being compiled they need to be marketed to the world in the form of a website maybe, or even a Facebook page.

Kindly let me know if anyone is already working on this issue. If yes then i would like to join your efforts.
Also put your suggestions in the comments section below.
So many great things happen in out country everyday but we need to show it to the world instead of just complaining.


7 comments:

  1. you are joining exchange program which is also a way creating cross-culture understanding and maybe it changes Pakistan's image on another people step by step :) and at least, you had changed my idea about Islam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much :). It was amazing talking to you all about Islam and yes i agree its a small step. Thanks for the encouragement

    ReplyDelete
  3. great work farrae , seriously man ,
    Immense respect for you !!!!!!
    KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK BRO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Farrae reading this has seriously made me think about so much. Like first thing now im going over to my blog and do a pro pakistani post I dont think I have anything about our culture or other awesome things at all.
    Also just an idea do you know about Humans of New York? I think someone should start that in pakistan like in a bigger way though.
    Great post. You have a regular reader/ subscriber what ever you call it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is actually a Humans of Karachi, I believe. Look that up. It's really amazing. And Farrae, the place to look for images and depictions of Pakistan is actually Facebook. Look up the pictures posted by Payaam Trust, Mobeen Ansari and Kuch Khaas. And Fatography :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. humans of karachi/lahore/islamabad all of these pages do exist. Btw one of the better ways to market would be to use an already established forum, no? Take the Milky Way Scientists and post up very high quality pictures of your expeditions to the North, there. That should be a good start.
    agar ideas hain tou bhai se pooch lia kar ;)oh and all of these photographers do have sections of pakistan so thats a good place to start.
    PS: LAS has brilliant pictures, share their page #sasti marketing :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you everyone for the appreciation and suggestions. I know that Fatography, Kuch Khas and LAS etc have brilliant pictures but all of them are for personal marketing, no?
    I tried on facebook searching for pages like beautiful Pakistan. the ones that exist are disappointing. I am thinking something central. Aimed just for presenting Pakistan to the world.

    ReplyDelete