Total Pageviews

Thursday, July 11, 2013

The Mr Bean

Mr Bean was one of my favorite shows while I was growing up. I still watch it whenever I can.

I am currently in Thailand on an internship teaching English to Thai students. I visited Bangkok two weeks ago. There were lots of homeless and poor people out on the streets begging for money. I would pass all of them feeling a bit sad but this one little girl in her School Uniform sitting outside a BTS (Sky train) station made me stop and search my pockets.
I didnt have any change.

Some of you might remember this one episode in which Mr Bean dances to the music being played by a blind beggar, collects coins, then gives them to the blind man, smiles and goes away.

So I pulled a Mr Bean.

It was drizzling. I spread out a shopping bag in-front of me and sat on the footpath, cross-legged, head bent down, eyes focused on the shoes of the passerbys and sang.
I sang Indian songs, Pakistani, English, anything that came to my mind. In the start I was a bit nervous and my voice was low but later I went loud and then the coins started coming. In about 25 mins I had collected Exactly 22 bath. (about 66 Rs).
I was about to get up when I saw the feet of a girl come close and stop. They stood there for a few seconds. Moved forward. Stopped. Back trekked. Stopped in-front of me and a coin dropped onto my shopping bag. I thought 23 Baath was good enough. I got up and looked around for the girl but she wasn't sitting where she was a while ago. She was walking away having given away a coin to a singer sitting in the rain. 


The experience left me shell-shocked. I was humbled. I later gave the money I had collected to other beggars I found on the road. 
Let me know what you think about the whole story in the comments section please :) This is my first official blog post. I hope I will continue to bring interesting stories like this to you guys. 

10 comments:

  1. my nani always says that the poor are often the most giving. Yay for stories that prove her right!

    Also, you are just one of the weirdest people in the world! (In the most awesome way possible)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha. Thank you so much for that. Do tell your nani about this then. she will like it. :)
      I love being weird :)

      Delete
    2. Brilliant. Simply brilliant. :D

      Delete
  2. What you did takes courage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Farrae this is so inspiring! Please keep posts like these coming. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I will try to give it my best.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete